My Cart

Close

Shocking! Suzuki To Quit MotoGP By The End Of 2022

Shocking! Suzuki To Quit MotoGP By The End Of 2022

Suzuki has decided to terminate their MotoGP journey just seven years after it returned to the premier class.

 

The Japanese manufacturer has been the backbone of MotoGP since the 500cc era. They won the world titles with the likes of Barry Sheene, Marco Lucchinelli, Franco Uncini, Kevin Schwantz, and Kenny Roberts Jr.

 

Suzuki continued to participate in MotoGP after switching to the four-stroke formula. However, at the end of the 2011 season, they withdraw since they are facing financial difficulties in running one entry for Alvaro Bautista that year.

 

Later, in the consequent year, they resumed the project and announced their full-time return in 2015. They also won the race in 2016 at Silverstone with Maverick Vinales after winning the title in 2007. It also won its first-ever world title in twenty years courtesy of Joan Mir in 2020.

 

Motosports.com learn about the head of Suzuki gathering all the members of the MotoGP team on Monday and communicating the decision of quitting the series by the end of the year. It is a decision that relatively shocked the entire team.

 

Within the next few hours, we can expect an announcement of this termination. This announcement has also pushed forward the future of 2020 world champion Mir and three-time race winner Alex Rins. 

 

Motosports.com anticipates that Mir will switch to Honda alongside Marc Marquez in 2022 to replace Pol Espargaro. On the other, Rins’ future remains unclear at this stage.

 

Last year was relatively arduous for Suzuki as it is trying hard to navigate its way through long-time team boss David Brivio’s departure to Alpine in Formula 1. Therefore, project leader Shinichi Sahara took the responsibility as the existing boss. However, he also admitted the role was too much for him and even brought in ex-Honda and Ducati boss Livio Suppo for 2022.

 

Both Mir and Rins only have contracts with Suzuki until the end of 2022, with the former saying ahead of the season that he intends to continue with the Japanese brand.

 

Last week in Portugal, Rins also said Suzuki had told him they wanted to keep him until 2023.

 

0 comments

Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing